Tuesday, 2nd September 2014

RCMP remove 22,570 pounds of marijuana

Posted on 22. Oct, 2010 by in Crime |

Photo source: tboothhk, Flickr, Creative Commons.

The RCMP in the Kootenay Boundary region are trumpeting their work this summer, saying they’ve stopped the equivalent of 40 million joints from reaching the streets.

In a press release, Kootenay RCMP report they seized 20,000 marijuana plants from 96 outdoor sites this summer.

According to police calculations, the seized plants would have produced 22,570 pounds of marijuana, the equivalent of 40 million marijuana cigarettes.

Inspector Nick Romanchuk, the officer in Charge of Kootenay Boundary Regional Detachment, says the amount of pot seized “speaks to the extreme quantities of marijuana produced in the West Kootenay/Boundary area.”

“I have absolutely no doubt that the majority of this marijuana is distributed and exported by the hands of organized criminal groups to other markets in Canada and the United States.”

The grow ops were mostly on Crown land and unattended, though police did execute three search warrants on private property. Five people are facing charges, including production of a controlled substance.

The press release includes comments from the mayor of Kaslo, Greg Lay, who spoke about the damage outdoor grow ops can have on the environment.

“When water is diverted from its natural course, as is often the case with the man made irrigation systems at outdoor grow ops, instability and failure of the nearby slopes can result,” says Lay, who is also a professional forester. “These failures place our roads, streams, and other water resources at risk and cause considerable damage to our natural environment.”

news@inthekoots.net

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “RCMP remove 22,570 pounds of marijuana”

1. Anthony 22 October 2010 at 10:02 am #

Maybe they are just saying that to keep the Americans happy.
    As for Greg Lay’s comments; if that is true we’d better shut down the entire logging and mining industries, and most municipal water supply systems!

• Terry Crockett 25 October 2010 at 8:01 am #

I can’t agree more. Logging practices in this province is the real crime!

2. herb 22 October 2010 at 10:29 am #

Greg Lay, If you want to protect the environment, you need to advocate for a legal and regulated cannabis market.Then people will not need to hide their gardens on Crown land. These police “harvests” are a futile waste of money and that money could be much better spent on education, health care, and environmental cleanup & protection.

3. Andrea 22 October 2010 at 11:41 am #

How many meth labs did they shut down?

• Chris Shepherd 22 October 2010 at 11:44 am #

@Andrea

Now there’s a drug I’d like to see the police touting how much they’ve captured.

4. Steven Cain 25 October 2010 at 9:58 am #

When I was firefighting this summer, up near Williams Lake, we found two 800-plant outdoor grows. They had obviously beeen hand watered, in 5-gallon pails. No diversion. Pot is everywhere, and how the police, who spend an obscene amount of money on chopper flights, think they can even DENT production in a province that is twice the size of Iraq, I have no idea. How many pedos, stalkers, rapists and wife beaters did they triumph over this year? Ya know, something that would actually make a DIFFERENCE in people’s lives…

• Diana van Eyk 25 October 2010 at 12:44 pm #

I agree, Steve. Why bother? Why is it even illegal? Does anyone really care? I don’t know anyone who does.

• Jim Ross 25 October 2010 at 4:18 pm #

So true.

I don’t know what fire crews are like today but the little firefighting I did made me wonder how difficult it was to keep that crew focused on their task afterward, particularly if it caught fire and they had to put it out. Eight hundred plants burning in unison would send up quite a cloud.

Fighting a forest fire while marijuana is candling all around you. Dangerous stuff.

All in the line of duty.

• Chris Shepherd 25 October 2010 at 5:44 pm #

@junior,

Your reply reminded me of this video I was shown at journalism school. I’m not sure if this is authentic or a joke, but it still cracks me up.

• Diana van Eyk 25 October 2010 at 9:41 pm #

I saw something sort of like that on TV a long time ago. They filmed some prisoners who’d been convicted on drug related charges smoking pot to show the effects. They all just wound up laughing hysterically. It was really funny to watch.

5. Michelle 25 October 2010 at 3:36 pm #

I think they should spend more time on real crime and hard drugs. Save our money. Kids are getting addicted to chemicals and powder. Get that off the streets. Go find a lost Child, that is News!!

6. Steven Cain 25 October 2010 at 6:40 pm #

Bravo to all of you. Let’s get our priorities straight, here. Burning pot… yeah, very Cheech and Chong, guys.

7. Junebug 26 October 2010 at 7:07 pm #

Most Canadians don’t believe that there is anything immoral about marijuana, including me, but there has to be a certain amount of busts to keep the money in it. It’s all about keeping the balance. If pot became legal, the economy would pretty much crash, especially in regions like the Kootenays. It’s a 6 billion dollar industry after all.

8. Michelle 26 October 2010 at 11:16 pm #

It is a toss up Junebug, and I see that they have to keep THAT balance but this is too much. All the illegal pills and powder that is out there. All the crap they are adding to the clean marijuana. I would think the Police would want to go after the peeps that feed the Kids that stuff. Maybe I have seen too much!

9. Junebug 30 October 2010 at 12:17 pm #

The idea that people are adding other “addictive” drugs to marijuana is a myth. I’m sure it has happened a few times, but it is not a practice. The war on all drugs is a huge waste of money and energy – better spent dealing with issues that are the root of the problem like mental health, harm reduction and education.