Friday, 31st October 2014

EXCLUSIVE: Hall hired to run Nelson Star

Posted on 26. Jul, 2010 by in Media, Nelson |

Bob Hall, former editor of the Nelson Daily News, has been hired to be editor of the Nelson Star.

Bob Hall, former managing editor of the Nelson Daily News, has been hired by the company that shut down the paper he worked at for 15 years.

News In The Koots reached Hall on Monday, July 26 as he was putting together his first issue of the Nelson Star. The Star was a weekly paper started by Black Press in 2008. Starting this week, the Nelson Star will be a twice-weekly paper with an edition on Wednesday and another on Friday.

Hall said the shift to the Nelson Star happened quickly.

“It all came together last week,” Hall told News In The Koots.

This marks the latest in a major shakeup of the media in Nelson. In the beginning of July Glacier Media sold the Nelson Daily News, along with several other Kootenay papers, to Black Press.

Just a few days later Black Press announced they would close the Nelson Daily News.

Hall says he will have two reporters working for him. Andrea Klassen will continue reporting at the Star and the paper is looking for a second reporter.

The Nelson Star will go into its new printing schedule starting this week with an issue on Wednesday, July 28 and another on Friday, July 30.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “EXCLUSIVE: Hall hired to run Nelson Star”

1. Rik 26 July 2010 at 11:17 pm #

Wild. For some reason this caught me by surprise. I wonder who the second reporter will be?

2. David 27 July 2010 at 6:13 am #

THis just makes me wonder THAT MUCH MORE why BLack Press didn’t shut down the Star and switch the NDN to a 2x weekly. Keep the community icon, not the irritating upstart. Probably has to do with writing off the NDN debt, but for optics, that would be much preferred.

• Chris Shepherd 27 July 2010 at 3:43 pm #

That’s an interesting point and I think you answered your own question. In one of his columns, Bob Hall even wrote something to the effect that Black Press isn’t evil, they’re just making decisions based on their financial needs.

With a company as large as Black Press, headquartered in Victoria, it’s not surprising the bottom dollar trumps the optics of closing the Nelson Daily News.

3. Bill Metcalfe 28 July 2010 at 3:28 pm #

The Daily News was unionized. The Star was/is not.

• Chris Shepherd 28 July 2010 at 5:01 pm #

I think that definitely played a role in the demise of the Nelson Daily News.

I used to work for Black Press and I think there were maybe one or two papers in the entire chain that have unionized staff.

4. Ian Johnston 4 August 2010 at 6:03 pm #

Chris Shepherd wrote “…Bob Hall even wrote something to the effect that Black Press isn’t evil, they’re just making decisions based on their financial needs.”

They may not be evil but they certainly don’t have a lot of ethics. I recall the arrival of the Star and being amazed at how it was practically a photocopy of the Express format and content. I find that cynical. What I found to be more cynical was the repeated delivery to me and almost everyone I know of not one but two copies of the paper. After repeated pleas first to cancel the double issues I finally got fed up and asked them to stop delivering period. The NDN takeover and closure is not very surprising and equally cynical.